Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Being an Artist

I realized something. Since graduating in 2004 with my BFA I have only been half-assing it as an artist. I haven't submitted my work to a gallery (ever! not once!), I haven't put myself "out there", I haven't networked. My reasoning was that I wanted to draw a line between my art and a career, but then I'd have fantasies about making art as a career. By fantasy I mean that I would daydream endlessly about life as an artist. Kind of hard to achieve that dream if I'm only making art for myself and never taking risks to put it out in the world!
 Last month, when I was out at the First Friday Art Walk in Denver, I had a thought that my work was just as good as a lot of the pieces being shown in galleries. I picked up a postcard for a juried show at a gallery I liked, and very quietly created and submitted an encaustic piece. I guess I was quiet about it because there was the chance that it wouldn't get accepted... But it did! I got the call today that my work was juried into the show! Hurrah!
Floating by Anne Pendergrast, encaustic, 2011
This is the piece that will be in the show. If you'd like to come to the opening reception it is this Friday, September 9, from 6-9pm at Core New Art Space


I feel like this is the beginning of being a "real" artist. I'm thinning the line (or moving it?) between creating art because I love to, but also creating art to support myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment