Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Artist of the Week: Diem Chau

Grasp 2010 / Porcelain plate, organza & thread / 18"H x 6"W x ¾"D  
This piece can be purchased HERE

Union 2010 / Porcelain teacup, organza & thread / 3½"H x 3"W x 2"D 
This piece can be purchased HERE

Legacy 2010 / Porcelain plate, organza & thread / 14"H x 6"W x ¾"D 

Sisters / Porcelain bowl, silk, thread / 6.25" Dia x 2.5" H

Diem Chau was born in Vietnam and came to the US with her family in 1986. I love how she combines delicate embroidery with clay. I was scratching my head for awhile trying to figure out HOW she makes these- I believe that she embroiders and sews onto a very thin piece of fabric and then places that over the ceramic pieces.

Diem Chau's website can be found HERE (all images are from Diem Chau's website)




 Chau's work reminds me of one of my favorite songs- "One Red Thread" by Blind Pilot. It is in my playlist titled 'Arting'- GREAT music to create to! 





No comments:

Post a Comment